West Deeping has a mix of old and more recent buildings typical of a small agricultural village which has existed at least from the time of the Domesday Book, published in 1086.
The local limestone used for many of the older buildings during the 18th and 19th centuries helps to give the village its character. Parts of the Manor House and Cromwell House date back to the mid-17th century and there are two thatched cottages which are probably older than can be traced in their deeds. The church’s earliest features are 13th century.
Many, but not all, the buildings of historical interest are included in the National Heritage List for England (NHLE). As well as the Grade 1 St Andrew’s Church and two Grade 2 * listings – the Manor House and Molecey’s Mill and Granary – West Deeping has another 20 nationally protected historic sites including barns, a former maltings, a couple of converted granaries, a pigeoncote, a table tomb, a pair of bridges, a milepost and a telephone box!
There are several more buildings with stories to tell, even though they are not officially listed and there are other buildings that now exist only in the collective memory and the archives, as they were demolished many years ago.
- Wheatsheaf Cottage formerly “Stoneleigh”
- Tennyson’s Arms (demolished)
- May Cottages
- Woodbine Cottage
- 30, King Street (NHLE Grade 2)
- 32, King Street
- (34), King Street “The Doll’s House” (demolished)
- 36, King Street (NHLE Grade 2)
- Telephone box (NHLE Grade 2)
- Granary, next to 23 King Street (NHLE Grade 2)
- 25 & 27 King Street, formerly Marleigh House and old bakehouse
- George and Dragon
- Village Hall (formerly West Deeping Church of England School from 1900 to 1972) and former School house
- 39 King Street The Yews
- Red Lion (NHLE Grade 2)
- Aldgate House
- 54 – 56 King Street, “The Old Reading Room” (formerly,until 1900, the village school and Feoffees Cottages)
- Archway Cottages (demolished)
- Congregational Chapel
- 41 King Street (NHLE Grade 2) re-named “Figg House” from 2018
- 43 King Street formerly known as “The Chalet” (NHLE Grade 2)
- The Maltings, 43a King Street (NHLE Grade 2)
- Greystones, 45 King Street (NHLE Grade 2)
- Ivy House and barn (NHLE Grade 2)
- Sundial Cottage (NHLE Grade 2) formerly Rose Tree Cottage
- The Manor (NHLE Grade 2*)
- The Bungalow (demolished)
- Pigeoncote (NHLE Grade 2)
- Tarn Cottage
- Army Huts (demolished )
- Cromwell House (NHLE Grade 2)
- The Row
Church Lane (previously Mill Lane)
- “Suilven” (previously “Horreum”, and before that, piggeries and before that Seth Smith’s farm, inherited through his wife from Richard Figg)
- St Andrew’s Church (NHLE Grade 1) (link to Jonathan Stewart-Greatorex’s video on YouTube)
- West Deeping Mill
- St Andrew’s Lodge (previously the Rectory)
- Rectory Farm and Barn (NHLE Grade 2)
- Crown Farm
- Mile post (NHLE Grade 2)
- Toll Bar Cottage (demolished)
- Molecey’s Mill and Granary (NHLE Grade 2*)
This page is still under construction as of June 2018.
West Deeping Heritage Group files contain a number of photographs, copies of title deeds for several properties, many references from the British Newspaper Archive and research from the archives. As many of these as possible will be gradually added to the website.
Any photographs, stories and information about West Deeping’s buildings – old or new – would be welcome. Contact email@example.com